The Land Fund, accumulated from all the revenues derived from the sale, lease or rent of Crown Land, was one of those sources of colonial revenue whose appropriation was not fixed (as was the case with, e.g., duties levied under an Act of the Legislative Council). It could be applied in various ways according to the instructions of the British Government. In the years after 1831, when the sale of land was introduced, it was applied mainly to immigration, and in the period of this volume the Aborigines Establishment was the principal charge upon it. The papers here bound are very similar in their nature to those of CSO53, though they have particular reference to the Survey Department and the charges on the Fund.
These records are part of the holdings of the Tasmanian Archives