Construction of St George's Church was begun in 1836 and it was consecrated in May 1838 by Bishop W.G. Broughton, Bishop of Australia, when he visited the colony. The architect of the nave was John Lee Archer and the builder was John Wright. The church tower was added in 1846 and the portico in 1888. In 1890 until 1918 a Mission operated at the Queenborough School house and subsequently at St Matthias' church which later became a Baptist Church. In 1918 the Mariners' (or Seafarers) Church at Franklin Wharf, Hobart was taken apart, rebuilt in Sandy Bay, and consecrated as St Peter's Church by Bishop Stephen on the 16th July. In July 1951 it was resolved by the respective Vestries of St Peter's and St George's and approved by the Bishop to form a separate parish of St. Peter's Sandy Bay. Wellspring Anglican Church is a parish formed by the coming together of two centrally-located Hobart Anglican Churches. BayWest Anglican (Sandy Bay) and Holy Trinity Anglican (North Hobart) merged in 2007. BayWest itself was the product of an earlier merger (1998) between West Hobart and Sandy Bay Anglican Churches.