Chris Long spent time in Tasmania as a freelance photographic historian in 1982. Financed by a fellowship from the Tasmanian Arts Advisory Board, he studied the photographic collections held by the Archives Office of Tasmania and more specifically the Queen Victoria Museum and Art Gallery, but also other collections held by family and descendants as well as collections in the Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery and the State Library of Tasmania. As early as 1976 he had studied the negative library of the Spurling family, pioneer landscape and wilderness photographers. This information was used for the Alan Davies directory 'The Mechanical Eye in Australia' (1985). No publication of the research occured until 1995 when the Tasmanian Historical Research Association and the Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery were provided with funds administered by Arts Tasmania to collaboratively publish 'Tasmanian Photographers 1840 - 1940 by Chris Long'.