Wilfred King was the Director (later Superintendent) of Music for the Tasmanian Education Department. He was appointed in January 1950 and came to Tasmania with his family (Ivy and three children) from the United Kingdom. King was simultaneously appointed as a Lecturer in Music at the University of Tasmania. In the UK he had been Organist and Choir Master at St John's Church, Leicester, in charge of music at the Stoneygate School and involved with the Leicester Philharmonic Society and the Leicester City Male Choir. King became Organist at the Wesley Church, Hobart. He conducted the first massed youth choir as part of the Music Festival of State Schools in the Hobart City Hall on 17 October 1951. In 1952, under the auspices of the Adult Education Board, King also established the Hobart Girls Choir for girls aged between 15 and 22 years. He was renowned for instilling the love of singing into young people. King also worked with the Orpheus Choir and he and organist, John Nicholls, were the musical directors of the Hobart Carols by Candlelight for several years. In retirement, Wilfred and Ivy King lived at "Hawthorn" in Church Street, Oatlands and licensed the Kentish Hotel. Wilfred died in 1974. Two sons, Nick (Nicholas John) and Martin (Christopher Martin), ran Rentalite providing lighting, sound systems and staging from the 1950s. They were based at 609 Sandy Bay Road and then at 117 Lansdowne Crescent, West Hobart. Both were involved in some filming in the early days of television. Renatite became Production Works.