The parish grew from St George's Parish, Battery Point and has incorporated two churches, St Stephen's Church, Sandy Bay and St Luke's Church, Taroona. The foundation stone for St Stephen's was laid on 24 August 1847 and the church built by subscription. It was completed by 1856. Initially, the church building was used by Methodists and the Church of England and was managed by a trust. The brick building became known as the Red Chapel. Services were held in Taroona from as early as 1902. The St Luke's Hall was built in 1956 and later, in 1969, substantially adapted as a church.