Cover image for Northern Tasmanian Home for Boys (Glenara)
Agency:
Northern Tasmanian Home for Boys (Glenara)
Agency Number:
Start Date:
01 Sep 1921
End Date:
01 Jun 1984
Description:
Established by September 1921 as a home for boys. Its name was changed to Glenara Children's Home at a special general meeting held by the Board of Management on 22 May 1973. The name change reflected a change in policy which was to allow girls as well as boys to live at the home in order to keep siblings together. The home closed some time in June 1984.
Ivan Filluel was appointed Superintendent of the Northern Tasmanian Boys home in 1928 and his wife, Daphne, was appointed Matron at the same time. They both retired in 1959 after 31 years in the positions. Their son Vivien and his wife took over the positions upon their retirement.

See also sequence of photographs from the Advocate newspaper, Burnie in series PH40/1/1072 -1084 (c1950's to 1970's)
Information Sources:
AD203/166 and 167
Functions Performed:
Community health and welfare
Social Services Department (TA144)01 Jan 193402 Sep 1961

Department of Social Welfare (TA88)02 Sep 196128 Feb 1983

Department for Community Welfare (TA1028)01 Feb 198317 Jul 1989
Series Created By Agency:
LMSS561 Journal01 Jan 192931 Dec 1929

NS2043 Personal Files of Children Who Lived at the Home01 Jan 195301 Jan 1982