Clive Sansom was a renowned teacher, poet and conservationist. He was born in Finchley, North London in 1910 and educated at Southgate County School, Palmers Green. He subsequently studied Speech and Drama at Regent Street Polytechnic and the Speech Institute, Gordon Square (1930 - 1935) and later Phonetics at University College, London (1935 - 1936). In 1937 he married Ruth, a Tasmanian student studying in London. He held various positions as lecturer and examiner in speech, spoken word and drama in the period from 1937 - 1949. They moved to Tasmania in 1950 and he and Ruth were responsible for the Speech Centre in the Department of Education from 1950 to 1965. During this period they also wrote scripts for the ABC's "Speech and Listening" programme, and Clive also held the position of Examiner for Speech and Drama for the Australian Music Examinations Board. From 1965 - 1976 he worked as a freelance author. His publications include "Speech and Communication in the Primary School" and other educational texts. His poetry includes the award-winning "The Witness", as well as "The Cathedral", "Dorset Village" and "Return to Magic".