BayWest was part of the Southern Mission Region of the Anglican Church in the Diocese of Tasmania. 1998 saw two city parishes joined together to form one new parish under the name BayWest. As the name suggests, the former parishes were St. Peter's, Sandy Bay and St. John the Baptist, West Hobart. In 1918 a new Anglican city parish of West Hobart was formed from the parishes of Holy Trinity and St John's, Goulburn Street. The Anglican Parish of Wellspring (Wellspring Anglican Church) was formed by the merger of BayWest Anglican (Sandy Bay) and Holy Trinity Anglican (North Hobart) in 2007.