Cover image for The Arts Club
Agency:
The Arts Club
Agency Number:
Start Date:
01 Jan 1948
End Date:
31 Mar 2008
Description:
The Arts Club began in 1948 when Lionel Hickey of the Tasmanian Symphony Orchestra was keen to bring music within the understanding and patronage of the whole community. A Committee was formed under the patronage of Lady Binney and the first afternoon was held at the Continental, Macquarie St on 20 April 1948. Over the following 59 years the Arts Club Committee has arranged monthly programmes that have been held at the Town Hall 
The aim of the Club has always been to foster the love of music and drama with a chance for all artists to perform in beautiful surroundings in front of an appreciative audience. The Club has also given scholarships to musical students
Information Sources:
From notes by Lynne Kemp in Record Book (NS2901/1/2)
Functions Performed:
Arts and culture