Cover image for Anglican Parish of Ross (1)
Agency:
Anglican Parish of Ross (1)
Agency Number:
Start Date:
01 Jan 1833
End Date:
02 Jul 1879
Description:
Church of England services were first held in Ross in rooms at the local Barracks in 1833. The foundation stone for St John's was laid two years later, in 1836 the church was opened and was consecrated in 1838.
The Church wardens of St John's and St Luke's Campbell Town met on 2nd July 1879 to formalise arrangements for the amalgamation of the two parishes.
Information Sources:
St Lukes Campbell Town vestry minute book 1858-1965 & 'Our Heritage of Anglican Churches in Tasmania' by Dorothy Henslowe.;;Copyright in all records retained by the Anglican Church, Diocese of Tasmania
Functions Performed:
Religion
Controlling Agencies:
Anglican Diocese of Tasmania (NG373)01 Jan 1809
Subsequent Agencies:
Anglican Parish of Campbell Town & Ross (1) (NG2328)02 Jul 187917 Mar 1903
Series Created By Agency:
NS1190 Parish Registers27 Oct 183319 Feb 2006