In 1921 the Devonport Musical and Literary competitions opened in the Majestic Theatre, Devonport. These competitions were held annually up to and including 1939. At a meeting held on 20th November, 1939 it was resolved that the Society go into recess during the coming year owing to World War 11, and waning public interest. In 1948, the instigation of the Rotary Club of Devonport and the then Warden of Devonport, Cr. H.E. Haslock, convened a public meeting at which a committee was formed. The title 'Devonport Eisteddfod Society' was adopted. Alan K and Geraldene F Scott were joint honorary secretary for many (approximately 40) years.