Cover image for Anglican Parish of St Leonards
Agency:
Anglican Parish of St Leonards
Agency Number:
Start Date:
18 Apr 1847
Description:
The area of St Leonards was formerly known as Patterson's Plains.
The Anglican parish incorporates (2008) the church centres of St Peters at St Leonards; All Saints at Ravenswood and All Souls at Patersonia.
The first St Peters Church was opened for service on April 18, 1847 after the foundation stone had been laid by Archdeacon Marriott on December 9, 1846. The site was then in the middle of the 'Mount Esk' estate (now Nazareth House). This church remained until an historic meeting was held on February 14, 1867 when a resolution was moved by Captain Wettenhall, seconded by Mr Thomas Smith that a new church should be erected as soon as possible to replace the present dilapidated building. 
The new church was consecrated by the second Bishop of Tasmania, Rt. Rev C F Bromby, on Thursday May 13 1869. It was early gothic in style, built of brick and bluestone with sufficient room to accomodate 250 persons in open seats.
All Souls at Patersonia was built in 1885 and a monthly church service was held by a preacher from Launceston. The church was also used as a temporary school from 1886, until the Patersonia school was built in 1887. 
All Saints was built by volunteer labour during the 1950's to cater for the growing suburb of Ravenswood on land donated by Jack and Olive Haas. It was dedicated in 1958.

Information Sources:
www.parishofstleonardstas.com;;Copyright in all records retained by the Anglican Church, Diocese of Tasmania
Functions Performed:
Religion
Controlling Agencies:
Anglican Diocese of Tasmania (NG373)01 Jan 1809