In July 1951 it was resolved by the respective Vestries of St Peter's and St George's, and approved by the Bishop, to form a separate parish of St. Peter's Sandy Bay. Prior to this, in 1918, the Mariners' (or Seafarers) Church at Franklin Wharf, Hobart was taken apart, rebuilt in Sandy Bay, and consecrated as St Peter's Church on the 16th July. The parish comprised St Peter's Church, Sandy Bay and from 1959 to 1995, St Edmund's Church, Mt Nelson. However, the church at Mt Nelson was not formally consecrated until July 1963 by Bishop Davies. In 1998 the parishes of St. Peter's, Sandy Bay and St. John the Baptist, West Hobart were merged to form the new parish of Baywest.