Cover image for Montpelier Foundry Pty Ltd
Montpelier Foundry Pty Ltd
Agency Number:
Start Date:
01 Jan 1926
End Date:
31 Dec 1987
The Montpelier Foundry was established in 1926 on a site in Montpelier Street, Battery Point and continued operations there until 1949, when it moved to a purpose- built foundry at 102 Sunderland Street, Derwent Park; a facility that was built using recycled World War 2 materials. The foundry also had an administration, receiving, despatch and storage facility located at 35-41 Lampton Avenue, Derwent Park. At this point the business became an incorporated company and was now known as the Montpelier Foundry Pty Ltd. In 1970 the foundry and two industrial sites were purchased by James Hardie Industries Pty Ltd. 
Until 1987 the foundry built cast iron pipelines and couplings for water, gas and sewerage works.

Information Sources:
'A Joint Proposal to the Tasmanian Government on the Cast Iron Foundry 102 Sunderland Street Derwent Park, March, 1987' (page. 5) Authors: Keith Morris, Arthur Harper, John Forster and Geoff Adams.
Functions Performed:
Tasmanian businesses