Alfred Harrap & Son began in 1857 as grain merchants, quickly diversifying into wool, farm machinery and supplies, and auctioneering. By the 1890s they were operating a river steamer service along the Tamar, transporting mining equipment and agricultural produce as well as passengers. The founding Alfred Harrap (1820-1893) was a magistrate, served several terms as Mayor of Launceston, and, with Thomas Gunn, was a member of the Marine Board. Alfred Harrap & Son was bought by Roberts, Stewart & Co Ltd (later Roberts & Co Ltd) in 1967. The company was divided into Alfred Harrap & Son and Harrap Machinery Pty Ltd. In April 1968 their names were changed to Redson Pty Ltd and Nospar Pty Ltd respectively. Redon Pty Ltd was wound up and Nospar Pty Ltd was sold to Peter Trethewey.