The inaugural meeting of the Launceston Sacred Harmonic Society was held on 19 March 1856 at the Baptist Chapel, York Street, Launceston. Members included vocalists and intrumentalists of any religious persuasion, but were required to be of good moral character and take part in public concerts. The name of the society was changed to the Launceston Harmonic Society from 9 May 1860. The society was disbanded on 11 December 1860 as a new conductor could not be secured. The minute book was lodged with the Launceston Mechanics Institute.