Roy Sharrington Smith was the son of Sydney Herbert Smith and his wife Grace, nee Spong. In partnership with Hubert, Gordon Willing, Jack Newman and Denys Green, Roy Smith designed numerous schools, churches, houses and commercial buildings in Northern Tasmania, including Holyman House. He was a founder of the Royal Australian Institute of Architects in 1929 and in 1947 Smith was elected a fellow of the Royal Institute of British Architecture. In 1960, Roy Smith helped to found the Tasmanian Branch of the National Trust of Australia. He was its senior architect until his death. Smith's firm carried out restorations on some of Australia's finest colonial houses including Franklin House and Staffordshire House in Launceston, Clarendon, at Evandale, Malahide, at Fingal, Mount Morriston, at Ross, and Fairfield, at Epping Forest. His books include "John Lee Archer, Tasmanian Architect and Engineer" (1962) and "Early Tasmanian Bridges" (1969). He died in Launceston on 13 September 1971.