David Gibson was born on 26 April 1778 at Aberuthven, Perth, Scotland. He was tried in York for stealing, sentenced to transportation, and arrived in Van Diemen's Land on the 'Calcutta' in January 1804. He was in Port Jackson in 1811 and arrived in Port Dalrymple on the 'Lady Nelson' in June 1812. He received a conditional pardon in 1813. David married Elizabeth Nichols on 16 January 1819 at St John's Church Launceston. They had seven sons and three daughters between 1815 and 1835. David was granted a large tract of land on the South Esk River where he built his home 'Pleasant Banks' and prospered as a farmer. He died on 15 April 1858 and was buried at St Andrew's Presbyterian Church, Evandale. Elizabeth died on 28 January 1872. They had 11 children. David's fourth son, Thomas, married Mary Andromeda, daughter of George and Margaret Stewart of Stewerton, Macquarie River. They lived at Esk Vale. They had a daughter Janie, who died in 1946 Another of David's sons, James Gibson, born 30 March 1829, married Racheal Buist in 1852. By the late 1850s they had moved 'Belle Vue', Epping, on land which he had inherited from his father after the latter's death in 1858. James was a sheep breeder and pastoralist and active in local and colonial politics. He was warden of Campbell Town and a Member of the Legislative Council. After Rachel's death he married his brother's widow Agnes Beveridge. James and Rachel had 9 children - Mary, Jane, unnamed female (10/8/1857), Isabel, David, James, Rachel, Annie and Adam. Jane (born 1856) married James Taylor on 14 August 1879. They had 6 children, one of whom was Arthur Gibson Taylor, born 30 May 1883.