Architect William Henry Clayton was born in Van Diemen's Land to Henry and Mary Clayton (nee McLaughlin) and educated at Longford Hall. In 1840 he travelled to England where he was articled to a prominent architect. He returned to VDL in 1848 where he lived until emigrating to New Zealand in 1863. In 1869 he was appointed New Zealand's first (and only) colonial architect. He died in Dunedin in 1877.