George Hawley Stancombe was born in Hobart on 18 November 1914, the eldest of four children of Thomas George Stancombe (1888-1955) and his first cousin Emily Lavinia Swifte (1886-1965) who were married at St Andrew's Church, Ellendale, on 14 January 1914. Thomas Stancombe was a farmer, then in the 1920s he bought a car and became a tourist guide. As a child Hawley accompanied his father as he drove visitors around Tasmania listening to his tales of Tasmanian history. Hawley Stancome was a farmer and local historian who wrote several books, pamphlets and articles on Tasmanian history, including "Highway in Van Diemen's Land" published by Glendessary Press in 1968. He lived at "Glendessary", a stone cottage at Western Junction, near Evandale. He lost his research notebooks, diaries, manuscripts and books when the cottage was destroyed by fire in November 1972. Mr Stancombe tutored the Historic Buildings of the Midlands summer schools run by Adult Education at 'The Grange', Campbell Town. He supported his Masonic Lodge, was a Rotarian, sang with the Launceston Philharmonic Society, wrote and lectured for the Royal Society of Tasmania and the Tasmanian Historical Research Association. He was a life member of the National Trust (1986), a foundation member of the Launceston Historical Society (1989), and received an OAM in 1991. In 1977 Hawley married Zoe Rosen who died in 1979. In 1981 he married Phyllis Harris who died in 2000. He passed away at Peace Haven, Launceston, on 27 October 2002. He was cremated and his ashes were placed in the family plot at St Andrews Anglican Cemetery at Perth (Tasmania) with a plaque acknowledging his death.