Milton Hall was originally known as St John's Square Independent Chapel. Its foundation stone was laid on 2nd September 1841 and opened on 12th August 1842. Christ Church was built next door when the Chapel became too small. Its foundation stone was laid on 8th March 1883 and opened in October 1885. The club's aims were to increase knowledge of the Scripture, perform church work, provide musical services and to improve literacy and gymnastic skills. In 1892 the Wesleyan Orchestral Union joined the Christ Church Club.