The Galvin family came from Cork, Ireland. Bartholomew Galvin (1796-1881) and his wife Catherine (1799-1869), four sons John, Charles, Joseph and James, and Mr Galvin's sister Honora Galvin, arrived in Tasmania on the 'Royal Saxon' on 21 November 1842. John and Charles established a building business in Launceston. They developed the residential area known as Galvin Town, and were involved with the erection of the Public Buildings (1858), fitting windows in the Union Bank (1865), Church of Apostles (1866), the Commercial Bank and the Town Hall. John Galvin was foreman of the sewerage works for two years, and was clerk of works during the building of an extension to the Albert Hall (1891). The Galvins attended the Church of Apostles and were founding members of St Joseph's Band. John Galvin (1824-1900) married Anne Theresa McCormick in 1862. They had eight children; two died young. Charles Galvin (1831-1893) married Mary Ann Leary in 1854 and had seven children. Charles Galvin junior (fl. 1890s-1920s) became an actor and promotional agent, and was Tasmanian President of the Theatrical Employees Association 1917-1921.