Ken Bingham was born in Ulverstone, Tasmania. He joined the R.A.A.F. in 1942. After his discharge in 1944, he worked as a tyre fitter and carpenter in the Burnie area, and was a prominent leader in the Boy Scout movement. He then moved to Victoria to work for the State Electricity Commission. Later, he moved to Wagga Wagga in 1951 where he received a call to train for the Ministry. From 1946 to 1950 he was involved with the Presbyterian Fellowship as a Lay Preacher. He commenced theological training at Ormond College in 1956. He worked in many parts of Australia. Ken and his wife returned to Tasmania in 1985 until 1989, before returning to Victoria to be closer to their children.