The Mercury began in 1853 when John Davies, a former convict, bought a Hobart newspaper, the Guardian, and the following year renamed it the Hobarton Mercury. It first appeared as a tri-weekly, and the Mercury has provided news for Hobartians ever since, with numerous changes: it took over five other newspapers; became a daily (1858); published subsidiaries, notably the Illustrated Tasmanian Mail (1877 - 1935), the Saturday Evening Mercury (1954 - 84) and the Sunday Tasmanian from 1984 Davies Brothers was taken over by News Limited in 1985, bringing to an end the newspaper business run by the Davies family since 1854. The Mercury will relocate from its original site in Macquarie Street, in August 2012. Its present art deco building dating from 1940 will be sold. In June 2001 there was a flood in the basement where the negatives and back copies of newspapers were stored. While many of the negatives were saved there was some loss and some of those retained do show some damage.