William Nolan, more commonly known as Bill, was born in 1919 to Harry Gordon Burgess and Susan Emilda Nolan (formerly Dwyer). He was their only child. In 1941 he married Joy Graham in Melbourne and they, in turn, had one son Steve. William was appointed Tourist Officer, Devonport, for the Tasmanian Government Tourist Department in 1947. A year later the role was expanded to cover the whole North West Coast. In August 1951 he was transferred to the Hobart Office where he remained until 1979, after serving his last 8 years as its manager. Bill and Joy lived at Seven Mile Beach, West Hobart and Sandy Bay. Joy died in 1996 and Bill two years later in 1998.