In 1841, in response to the demand for a non-denominational cemetery a General Cemetery was opened in Charles Street, Launceston and was to remain operational until 1925. The Charles Street Cemetery Company was set up by Phillip Oakden, James Down, W.S.Button, Thomas Corbett and Henry Dowling. It is estimated that up to 6,000 people were buried at the Cemetery. By 1925 almost all burials were at Carr Villa Memorial Park except for pre-purchased plots. By the 1940s approximately 600 headstones remained. This site was later turned into Ockerby Gardens.