Carter & Peace, building contractors and hardware merchants, was established in Burnie in 1920 by John Chalmers Peace and Alfred Henry Carter. John Peace died on 4 December 1946 and Alfred Carter died on 30 June 1960, but the firm continued until1970 when the Peace estate was wound up and the managing director, Archibald Henry McInnes, retired. It was sold in 1971. The firm undertook building work throughout the North West Coast for domestic and business premises. For the latter, jobs undertaken included work for the Devon Hospital (1924), N.W. Butter Factory, Ulverstone Picture Theatre (1926), Bay View Hotel (1927), Ulverstone State School (1927), Burnie Technical School (1946) and Baptist Church Offices Launceston (1934).