One of the oldest established names in the Latrobe business community. Originally established in 1893 by William Levitt Wells (1853-1918), who arrived in Hobart from England in 1884. Mr Wells founded the Don Trading Company but moved it to Gilbert Street, Latrobe and renamed it to William L Wells and Co. The original store sold groceries, drapery, tailoring, produce, iron-mongering, implements and furniture. In 1913 the business was floated into an incorporated company and renamed W. L. Wells and Sons. Successive generations of the family have continued to run the business until its closure in August 2007. Built around 1885 by Samuel Sternberg, who hit on hard times in the depression of the 1890s, and the building in Gilbert Street was bought by notable Don businessman William L. Wells and re-opened in 1893. It remained in the family until William's great grandson Garth Wells sold it in 2007. The Wells stores have sold food, haberdashery, drapery, outdoor equipment and hardware for generations and this is the most prominent and long-standing store in Latrobe.