Cover image for Lewis William Gilles and Family
Lewis William Gilles and Family
Agency Number:
Start Date:
08 Oct 1796
End Date:
02 Jan 1884
Lewis Gilles arrived in Hobart Town from London on 7th May 1823 on the 'Andromeda'. He married Mary Horne on 1 December 1823, and they had 14 children, of whom only 9 survived.
He was granted land near Ross. He owned the estates of 'Eppendorf' and later 'Lewisham', which he built. He sold 'Lewisham' in 1832 and moved to Launceston where he went into banking. In 1840 he started the Lewis Gilles & Co Bank in Launceston
In 1844 the family moved to Adelaide, where Lewis died on 2 January 1884

Information Sources:
Series AE807 (Wayn Index)
Functions Performed:
Tasmanian businesses
Series Created By Agency:
NS3944 Stock and Store Record Book for 'Lewisham'01 Jan 183131 Dec 1832

NS3943 Personal Papers of Lewis William Gilles01 Jan 183931 Dec 1845