Cover image for Glasser and Parker
Agency:
Glasser and Parker
Agency Number:
Start Date:
01 Jan 1930
End Date:
31 Jan 2016
Description:
Glasser & Parker was a men's clothing store in Hobart. Its founder was Joe [Joseph] Glasser, a pawnbroker in Elizabeth Street, Hobart, who decided to branch off into the male clothing business. His son, Samuel Glasser, was also a director. In the 1940s, the business was sold to employee Arthur Parker, after which it became Glasser & Parker. The business moved to Liverpool Street and in 1970 it moved further along the street into the former His Majesty's Theatre building. Glasser and Parker also ran a coffee shop within the building.
The business later expanded to include women's clothing and it operated an additional two stores - one at New Norfolk (formerly a menswear shop established by Ron Williams) and a store in Launceston.
It closed for business in January 2016.

Information Sources:
ABC News Online 16 November 2015, New Norfolk News, September 28, 2015 and SC331/1/1203
Functions Performed:
Tasmanian businesses
Series Created By Agency:
NS6273 Photograph01 Jan 195031 Dec 1959

NS6271 Ledgers01 Jun 195031 Oct 1953