Ernest Lawson and Francis Matthew Luck started a coach and motor works in Devonport in 1914. They were joined by F.A. Drake in 1920. The business was incorporated as Lawson and Luck Pty Ltd in 1927, but went into voluntary liquidation when Lawson died in 1932. Drake returned briefly to business as a sole trader in 1933. The company Lawson and Luck Pty Ltd was dissolved in 1940.