After emigrating to VDL with his family Alfred Nicholas established a retail warehouse. In 1852 he married Louisa James and together they had seven children. During 1854 Nicholas was a regular advertiser in the Hobart Mercury, offering goods such as sugar, brandy, ale and tobacco from his premises at the corner of Murray and Liverpool Streets, Hobart. His business prospered until 1855 when he relinquished it in favour of his brother Sydney. He left the colony briefly but returned in 1857. Nicholas was interested in the administration of the colony and was connected with many business ventures in the north of the state. He was also a member of the Tasmanian Legislative Council in 1858 and 1859, representing Hobart and Kingborough. During the 1860's Alfred was a Wholesale Wine and Spirit Merchant in Murray Street. Many of his customers held high profile positions in Hobart society. These included politicians, dentists and members of the Anglican clergy. On 13 July 1864 Alfred Nicholas notified the public that he had entered into a business partnership with Francis William Pike. This is the date of the last entry in the register. He died at Hamilton, Victoria on 24 April 1899.