The parish, which is the southernmost in the Anglican Church in Australia, had its beginnings in 1839 with the consecration of a wooden church at Franklin (St Mary's) built for the settlement by Lady Franklin. St Mary's was replaced by St John's Church, designed by Henry Hunter and consecrated in May 1864. In the 1840s there was also a stone church at Southport associated with the Probation station. The first church of St James', Ranelagh was built in 1853 in brick. This was replaced by another Hunter designed timber church in 1880 but was unfortunately destroyed by fire in 1885. The current church, was completed in 1896. The existing church was consecrated by Bishop Montgomery on 8 November 1896. By the 1940's the Huon had become three parishes all with rectories: Franklin, Geeveston and Esperance. The latter half of the 20th century saw the gradual amalgamation back to one parish. Churches in this Parish include: St James Anglican Church (Ranelagh), St Luke's Anglican Church (Judbury), St Andrews (Mountain River), St Peter's (Geeveston), St Paul's (Dover) and St John's (Franklin).