Cover image for Rupert Johnston Pty Ltd
Rupert Johnston Pty Ltd
Agency Number:
Start Date:
01 Feb 1920
End Date:
31 Dec 1972
Rupert Leigh Cecil Johnston was born on 25 November 1889, the son of Alfred Wallace and Matilda May Johnston (formerly Holroyd). He married Lylie Sutton in 1917 and they had seven children.
Johnston worked as an auctioneer for Murdoch Brothers in his early years before forming a new auctioneering firm in February 1920 with Colin Barnett. They traded as Barnett and Johnston. This partnership was dissolved by August 1921 and the business continued as Rupert Johnston Pty Ltd - "Auctioneers, merchants and agents" in premises at 57 Liverpool Street, Hobart.
Johnston moved to purpose-built premises designed by architect, E. Stanley Crisp, in September 1924. Situated at 73 Bathurst Street, the business was described as "auction mart and produce store". Johnston was joined in the business by his brother Leigh. The premises expanded again a year later to incorporate a butter factory.
In 1936 Johnston opened a new wholesale and retail business in Elizabeth Street with Clem Taylor.
Johnston gradually moved exclusively into real estate and by March 1949, Johnston and Corvan were billed as "Real Estate Agents, Auctioneers and Valuators", based at 134 Elizabeth Street, Hobart. By 1956 they had moved to Phoenix Chambers on the corner of Murray and Collins Streets.
The business was wound up in 1970 and liquidated by 1972, the year in which Rupert Johnston died, aged 82.

Information Sources:
Daily Post (TAS) 17 October 1916 and 2 November 1917; The World (TAS) 2 February 1920 and 22 August 1921; The News (TAS) 6 September 1924 and 27 June 1926; Mercury (TAS) 27 June 1925; Huon and Derwent Times (TAS) 27 February 1936; RGD33/1/70 no 3565; SC331/1/3683
Functions Performed:
Tasmanian businesses
Series Created By Agency:
NS5747 Property Files19 Jun 193131 Dec 1966

NS5090 Land and Property Files16 Mar 195631 Dec 1969

NS6302 Property Cards01 Jan 196031 Dec 1966

NS6299 Property Register08 Feb 196501 Sep 1966