In 1934 the Tasmanian Government passed legislation permitting cremation of remains. Before this date cremations were done in Victoria. Alexander Clark, a local funeral director and advocate for cremations was instrumental in achieving this legislation. Tasmanian Cremations Ltd was then established in late 1935, and by March 1936, had an operational crematorium at the Cornelian Bay Cemetery. On 1 July 1961 this company was acquired by the Crown under the Hobart Public Cemetery Act 1960.