The Hutchins School, a private boys' school, was established in 1846, in memory of William Hutchins, first Anglican Archdeacon of Van Diemen's Land. It was modelled on English schools such as Rugby and Winchester. After three years at Ingle Hall, on the corner of Argyle and Macquarie Streets, it moved to a purpose built schoolhouse, designed by William Archer, further up Macquarie Street. In the 1950s the school began developing a new site at Sandy Bay. The Macquarie Street building was sold in 1965.