Henry Allport (1890-1965) was a lawyer, collector of books, art, antiques, and public benefactor. He was a great-grandson of Joseph and Mary Morton Allport, and grandson of Morton Allport. In 1929, he married Claudine Miriam 'Daisy' Allport, and they remained childless. Henry Allport developed a passion for history, antiques and colonial art, studying the work of local artists and became an authority on early Tasmanian literature. Henry and Daisy filled their house, 'Cedar Court' in Sandy Bay, with English and European decorative arts, as well as building on his father, Cecil Allport's collection of rare books and Tasmanian art. Henry saw his collection as both a family memorial and a dynamic contribution to the cultural resources of Tasmania. He requested the Trustees of his will to endow the Library and Museum of Fine Arts from considerable investments - income from the fund has purchased rare items to enhance the collection, continuing the Allport family's contribution to Tasmanian history and culture. In 1965 Henry Allport bequeathed to the people of Tasmania his valuable collection of books, pictorial material, ceramics, silverware, glassware, and furniture. He directed that it be called the Allport Library and Museum of Fine Arts as a memorial to the Allport family, who had played an important part in the cultural life of Tasmania for more than a hundred and thirty years.