The Anglican Parish of St Paul's was officially created and opened on 15 October 1854. Prior to this it was part of the Parish of St John's, Launceston. It comprised the church of St Paul's in Cleveland Street. On 5 October 1975 the final service was conducted in the church prior to its demolition to make way for redevelopment of the Launceston General Hospital on the church site. The demolition was agreed upon only if the hospital recycled the building as much as possible. Much of the fabric and contents of the St Paul's church went to Low Head and were used in the construction of St Paul's Chapel by the Sea, an interdenominational church which by c. 2000 was incorporated into the Ainslie House Aged Care Complex at Low Head. The chapel built at the redevelopment of the Launceston General Hospital was named St Paul's chapel.