Cover image for Anglican Parish of St Matthew's, New Norfolk
Agency:
Anglican Parish of St Matthew's, New Norfolk
Agency Number:
Start Date:
01 Jan 1826
Description:
The Anglican Church of St Matthew in Bathurst Street, opposite Arthur Square was built in 1823 and consecrated in 1828. It has been the subject of numerous alterations. In 1833 extensive additions made it a much more impressive building. A tower was added in 1870 and in 1894, after a period of energetic fund raising, the chancel was added and the windows, roof and transepts were altered. It is clearly not the same church which was built on the site in 1823. All that is left of the original church are the walls and flagged floor of the nave and part of the western transept. 
Parish also includes St Johns at Plenty
Information Sources:
Copyright in all records retained by the Anglican Church, Diocese of Tasmania
Functions Performed:
Religion
Controlling Agencies:
Anglican Diocese of Tasmania (NG373)01 Jan 1809