Cover image for Anglican Parish of George Town
Agency:
Anglican Parish of George Town
Agency Number:
Start Date:
01 Sep 1841
End Date:
01 Nov 2005
Description:
Bishop John Harrower dedicated George Town's new Anglican Church at a special service on Saturday 2 September 2000. The original church of St Mary Magdalene was burnt down in 1994. The new building, which cost $170 000 and can hold about 160, was opened in April, but had to wait for a new Bishop before it could be officially dedicated. The new St Mary Magdalen is a modern church building and multi-functional, as nothing inside it is bolted down. A link to the past is the incorporation into the new building of some of the old church furniture.(Tasmanian Anglican Online Oct 2000)
George Town is part of the Riverlinks Parish which was launched in November 2005 after combining three former parishes: East Launceston, Trevallyn & Riverside and George Town.


Information Sources:
Copyright in all records retained by the Anglican Church, Diocese of Tasmania.
Functions Performed:
Religion
Controlling Agencies:
Anglican Diocese of Tasmania (NG373)01 Jan 1809
Series Created By Agency:
NS642 Copies of Baptism, Marriage and Burial Registers01 Sep 184101 May 1978