St. John's New Town was designed by John Lee Archer. The foundation stone was laid in 1834 and the church consecrated by Bishop Broughton in 1838. The gate houses on New Town Road were designed by James Blackburn. An orphanage and buildings for convicts adjoined the church.
Dorothea Henslowe, Our heritage of Anglican churches in Tasmania (Moonah, Tas: Henslowe, 1978), pp.34-35