The foundations of St. John's Launceston as a parish date from the arrival of the Revd. John Youl in 1819, in Port Dalrymple. Prior to that, the Revd Robert Knopwood traveled up from Hobart in 1811 and 1814, to perform several marriages and baptisms. Lieutenant Lyttleton had also issued licenses for marriage in the early years. Things were so much neglected that during Youl's first visit up the river to Launceston, he married 41 couples and baptised 76 children.By November 1819, Youl and his family had settled at Launceston, and the work of the church began. Divine Service were held under the trees or in a blacksmith's shop when wet. In 1824, construction work began for a place of worship in Launceston, and in 1825, St. John's Church opened its doors and the first service was held in December.