Alexander North (1858-1945), trained in art and architecture in London before arriving in Tasmania in 1883. He was well known as a church architect, influenced by Gothic principles yet incorporating unusual native flora and fauna into decorative details. His major works included Holy Trinity, St Johns, and an extension of the Hunter nave of the Church of the Apostles, all in Launceston. North was employed by the Lands and Works Department from 1883 to 1886. He also ran private practice in Launceston from 1884-1893, in partnership with L. G. Corrie until 1887. He worked with a number of partners throughout his career including W. H. Dunning, A. H. Masters, and R. F. Ricards and F. J. Heyward. In 1903, North formed the Tasmanian Association of Architects. He also worked on church designs in Victoria, South Australia, New Zealand and Fiji.