Captain Andrew Haig (1793-1871) was a British East India Company-licensed merchant, trading between Calcutta and Canton in commodities including porcelain and opium. In India, Haig was acquainted with Charles Swanston (see NG3235) who was then an officer in the East India Co's army. Around 1821-23, Haig made a trading voyage to Mexico and South America. He arrived in Hobart in 1824, and purchased two acres of land from a subdivision of Rev Robert Knopwood's estate. He built a house, Narryna, and two warehouses on New Wharf, facing Salamanca Place. He traded in imported foods and building materials, and was Lloyd's agent in Hobart. Narryna was completed in October 1840. Haig experienced financial difficulties during the 1840s, and sold Narryna in 1842. He continued to live in Battery Point until his death in 1871.