Cover image for Anglican Parish of Geeveston
Agency:
Anglican Parish of Geeveston
Agency Number:
Start Date:
01 May 1883
Description:
Geeveston in 2013 is part of the Huon Parish.
The parish, which is the southernmost in the Anglican Church in Australia, had its beginnings in 1839 with the consecration of a wooden church at Franklin (St Mary's) built for the settlement by Lady Franklin. St Mary's was replaced by St John's Church, designed by Henry Hunter and consecrated in May 1864.
In the 1840s there was also a stone church at Southport associated with the Probation station. The first church of St James', Ranelagh was built in 1853 in brick. This was replaced by another Hunter designed timber church in 1880 but was unfortunately destroyed by fire in 1885. The current church, was completed in 1896. The existing church was consecrated by Bishop Montgomery on 8 November 1896.
By the second half of the 19th Century the Parish included the Huon Valley, the Channel and the Far South with 12 church centres. It was a big area on horseback or foot for a rector. Towards the end of the latter half of the 19th century Cygnet-Channel became a separate parish. By the 1940's the Huon had become three parishes all with rectories: Franklin, Geeveston and Esperance.
The latter half of the 20th century saw the gradual amalgamation back to one parish. In recent times many churches have been either sold or destroyed by bush fires. These include:
St Andrew's Mountain River 
St David's Crabtree 
St Peter's Cradoc 
St Andrew's Port Huon 
St Bartholomew's Strathblane, Southport & Glendevie 
St Paul's Dover 

Information Sources:
Copyright in all records retained by the Anglican Church, Diocese of Tasmania;;Anglican Church Website 2013.
Functions Performed:
Religion
Controlling Agencies:
Anglican Diocese of Tasmania (NG373)01 Jan 1809