Carr Villa Memorial Park is owned and operated by the Launceston City Council. Originally the cemetery grounds were privately owned by the Knight family, and in the mid-1800s a small college and boarding school known as the Carr Villa Establishment for Young Ladies was based there. The State Government purchased the land in 1890 and vested it in the Launceston Municipal Council in 1901. A public burial ground known as Carr Villa was opened in 1905. The crematorium and chapel were built in 1938 and the first cremation was in February 1939.