In 1868, The Launceston Invalid Asylum or Invalid Depot was established by refurbishing the old Military Barracks in Patterson Street near Royal Park. Principally, its inmates were destitute male emancipists with chronic medical conditions resulting from congenital defects, injury, disease or old age. For its first twenty years it was administered by the Superintendent of the Launceston Penal Establishment and was effectively a regimented penal environment. From 1895 the Launceston Benevolent Society managed the Invalid Depot as the renamed Launceston Benevolent Asylum. The old building became run down and finally closed on 24 June 1912. A new premises, the Launceston Home for Invalids in Mulgrave Street, South Launceston was built and operated by the Tasmanian Government and ran from May 1913 until 10 March 1954 when it was replaced by Cosgrove Park Home for the Aged on Wellington Street, Launceston also operated by the state government. As part of the overall state government strategy to transfer public nursing home beds to the private sector the Cosgrove Park Nursing Home as it was by then known was sold to the privately operated consortium Tasmania Nursing Homes in January 1993.