Cover image for Gellibrand House Board
Agency:
Gellibrand House Board
Agency Number:
Start Date:
01 Jan 1938
Description:
Following the failure of the Society of St. George scheme the Tasmanian Veterans Trust (see NS1484) planned a retirement/rest home on a more modest scale as part of the New Town complex operated by the Public Health Department. 
The agreement entered into on 7 December 1937, and approved by Parliament on 20 December, provided that the Trust would pay for erection of the Home on Crown Land and the Government would furnish and equip it and provide the staff. The agreement provided for management of the Home by a Board similar to that appointed to manage the earlier Trust project at Millbrook Rise. In the event no separate Act was passed nor were regulations promulgated. The Minister used the administrative powers in Section 3 of the ennabling Act. Colonel S H Hancox, chairman, Captain C T Butler and Doctor A W Shugg were appointed from 1 January 1938 with Lt.-Col. R M W Thirkell as Secretary. The Board met on 31 January and, all being associated with the Tasmanian Veterans Trust, did not again meet formally until 23 June 1939 by which time the name Gellibrand House had been adopted. Gellibrand House was officially opened by the Governor on Saturday 22 July with 33 residents, some of whom had been transferred from other parts of the New Town complex. Thereafter the day-to-day running of the House was handled by L R Woodhouse and the Board met on the third Saturday of each month to assess applications for admission, discuss maintenance issues and disburse discretionary funds. Lt.-Col. Thirkell was replaced as Secretary by Major C H Perkins in 1940 and on the death of Col. Hancox in 1958 he became a member of the Board though continuing as its Secretary. Dr. A W Shugg died on 30 July 1941 and was replaced on the Board by Dr. Lines on 7 August. Dr. Lines retired on 22 January 1946 and was replaced by Dr. Gollan, who made way for Dr. R A Lewis on 6 July 1950. By this time the position of Superintendant (Woodhouse) had lapsed and the Superintendant of St. John's Park now managed the day-to-day affairs and attended Board meetings to report on the operation of Gellibrand House. In April 1962 a Management Act for Gellibrand House was finally passed by Parliament. The Act formally integrated Gellibrand House into the St. John's Park complex and removed the Board's managerial role. Henceforth the Board would only report to the Minister on the operation of the home, though continuing to control admissions and discharges and retaining the discretion to remit fees. As reconstituted by the Act the Board comprised two Government nominees, one of whom must be a medical practioner, and a nominee of the Trust. All three are appointed for five year terms and the Secretary may be a public servant holding the position in conjunction with other duties. Captain Butler and Dr. Lewis were confirmed as the Government nominees and Major Perkins as the Trust nominee on the Board (TGG 27 June 1962 p.773).~
Legislation Administered:
War Veterans Home Act 1937 (1 Geo VI No.78) ;; War Veterans Home (Management) Act 1962 (No.3 of 1962)
Legislation Creating:
Administrative action under Section 3 of the War Veterans Home Act 1937 (1 Geo VI No.78). ;;;;Reconstituted by the War Veterans Home (Management) Act 1962
Functions Performed:
Community services
Health care
Controlling Agencies:
Office of the Chief Secretary (TA395)01 Jan 188231 May 1976

Office of the Minister for Health (TA406)01 Jan 1934
Tasmanian Veterans Trust (NG1484)26 Jun 192025 May 1980
Series Created By Agency:
AB778 Minutes.06 Dec 193911 Jun 1968

AB779 General Correspondence.01 Jan 194031 Dec 1970

AB782 Register of Admissions.01 Jan 194031 Dec 1956

AB783 Applications for Admission.01 Jan 195331 Dec 1968